Friday 16 November 2012

#6: Reflection on learning



I can't belive that 13 weeks passed too fast. It seemed like I just had my first "Professional Communication" lesson yestarday and here I am now, the last day of classes of this semester, writing my last blog post for hte module. I'm so happy to have chosen this class; it was a complete experience for me, not only for the educational part but also for the multicultural enviroment that I lived in the classroom.

Throughout the course, I had many opportunities to practice and improve my English as I had never done, I believe ES2007S has provided me with the knowledge and skills to become more conscious of my grammar and realize of some of my mistakes.

During the semester I practice my listening skills because my native language is not English, sometimes was hard for me to understand what the people say (sometimes for the accent, sometimes because I didn’t pay attention for the conversation) so this push me to be more aware in every conversation; from the class discussions to interviews to questions and answers to peer teaching, but also for my presentations, I think that everything that I did in and out of the class required me to be an active listener. Therefore I consider that this module help me to improve this skill in a great way; now I can understand almost everything in the conversations regardless of the accent of people. Additionally, I find myself paying more attention to the speaker and interpreting his/her non-verbal signs, showing that I am listening making small verbal comments like "uh huh" and "mm", moving my head, providing feedback and clarifying by asking questions, and deferring counter-arguments. I am more confident in taking up such tasks in the future. I believe that this skill will be extremely useful to me when I enter the working world.


Apart from active listening, I have also learnt other communication skills (writing, presenting, etc) during the course. Today was a surprise to me to review all the skills that we covered in the course (we covered almost every single skill, one way or another). One other communication skill of mine which I feel has vastly improved is my presentation skill. As I mentioned in my previous post, it was hard to me to improve but right now I feel more confident during presentations.


Thank you, Dr Radhika, for all your help, patience, feedbacks and guidance for the past 13 weeks. Thank you, my classmates, for all the honest opinions and comments that allowed me to improve. Thank you this amazing experience! :)

2 comments:

  1. Juan,

    I think its commendable that you took up an English module even though it's not your first language. I have always enjoyed your presentations because you always bring the extra enthusiasm into it. It is really great watching you improve from presentation to presentation and I think the last presentation was a good indication of what you can achieve with hard work and practise.

    All the best Juan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yechuan, I really appreciate your words. I also believe that I improved my english and my communication skills, it was a hard process, but after all I think that in my last presentation I put the best of me.

      I want to thank you for all your comments, feedbacks and talks that we had during the semester, believe me that helped me a lot to improve.

      All the best also for you Yechuan, and if someday you have the opportunity to visit Mexico just let me know.

      Delete